MAMEUIFX

A full-of-features version of MAME designed for LCD monitors
It is currently 22/09/2019, 7:17

All times are UTC+02:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: GLSL General Question
PostPosted: 31/07/2015, 17:21 
Novice
Novice

Hi,

This is more of a general question that has less to do with MAMEUIFX, and more with shaders in general I think.

I'm currently using CRT-Lottes with a 750TI and G3258 (OC to 4.0GHz).

With MAMEUIFX 0.163, it's working exceptionally well. With Retroarch, If I select CRT-Lottes-Hallation, it runs at about 30FPS and is unplayable. I'm curious as to what the reasoning is for this? Hopefully U-Man might have some insight.

I'm trying to achieve having the same shader across all platforms for my Arcade Cab. Currently I have MAMEUIFX, and RetroArch. At the moment I'm using CRT-Glow on RA because Lottes isn't running well.

What does run well on this setup, however, is CRT-Royale. In a follow-up question, is it possible that CRT-Royale can be ported for use in MAME? I really have no clue on the process, so I just wanted to put the question out there.

Thanks for your help!

This is from my current settings for Lottes in MAME.

PostPosted: 31/07/2015, 18:34 
Admin
Admin

Lottes CRT shader distributed with MAMEUIFX is a modified one. To make it less heavy resources demanding, I commented out a line in the .FSH file relative to BLOOM effect. You should try to see if it's present in RetroArch version and do the same. It should be something similar to this:
Code:
//#define BLOOM //enables a bloom effect.

Simply put the two slashes '//' in front of the line.

For the rest, it's my hope too that others CRT shaders will be converted and made available to MAME(UIFX). I have positive feelings about this. Let's see what will happens.

PostPosted: 31/07/2015, 20:26 
Novice
Novice

mamesick wrote:
Lottes CRT shader distributed with MAMEUIFX is a modified one. To make it less heavy resources demanding, I commented out a line in the .FSH file relative to BLOOM effect. You should try to see if it's present in RetroArch version and do the same. It should be something similar to this:
Code:
//#define BLOOM //enables a bloom effect.

Simply put the two slashes '//' in front of the line.

For the rest, it's my hope too that others CRT shaders will be converted and made available to MAME(UIFX). I have positive feelings about this. Let's see what will happens.

I've tried with both Bloom On and Off, and it runs full speed on my cabinet either way. So it's curious why the bloom version runs poorly in RA. The regular Lottes version, non-hallation runs at 60FPS in RA.

These are the default settings in the cg file for Lottes-hallation, which are identical to the settings available in the Lottes CRT shader for MAMEUIFX

Code:
#define hardScan -8.0
#define hardPix -3.0
#define warpX 0.031
#define warpY 0.041
#define maskDark 0.5
#define maskLight 1.5
#define scaleInLinearGamma 1
#define shadowMask 1
#define brightboost 1
#define hardBloomScan -2.0
#define hardBloomPix -1.5
#define bloomAmount 1.0/16.0

Like I said, it's more a curiosity than anything.

PostPosted: 31/07/2015, 22:32 

I can only guess here... but i highly bet, that the bloom of Lotte in RA is not well optimized or the shader in general. Bloom in a single pass, needs much power from GPU. This is a thing, that also needs to be optimized for the MAME versions. I really cant tell, because my RA is from Okt. 2014 and there is no Lotte shader ;) .

I dont believe, that we will have the CRT-Royale shader anytime soon. It is one of the most complex shader available and consists of 12 shaders in one package. There are no source files of it and you cant just take a RA shader and convert it, because its allready in a optimized language, that has not much in common with GLSL, even if the source was once GLSL.

I am happy that Hunter K. (RA Admin) even helped me, to convert the CRT-geom shader, because there is no really good friendship between RA and the MAME devs. CRT-Royale is one exclusive thing to RA and to ask for help in a conversion for it, would wear out one´s welcome ;) .
I dont want that, i want more friendly relationships ;) and Hunter K. is a nice dude. A conversion may sound easy, but it is not. GLSL for MAME has no real documentation and there is no debugging tool for GLSL in general. So most of the time, its hard trial and error.... and frustration :D .

My own priority, is first to have a optimized and complete CRT-geom shader, that is like the current one we have, but with bloom and the interlace fix. Once this is done, i have more plans i dont want to talk about yet. Also there are more upcoming things for HLSL from the hardworking Jezze, who made HLSL so much better since v0161 and that keeps me busy too.

All in all, there where huge improvements in the first half of 2015, regarding shaders and MAME and there are not many people that are aware of this fact. A state that needs to be changed. It is worthless to put so much effort in a thing, that people not even know and you can do a way more things, that you could not do in the past.

PostPosted: 01/08/2015, 16:04 
Novice
Novice

u-man wrote:
I can only guess here... but i highly bet, that the bloom of Lotte in RA is not well optimized or the shader in general. Bloom in a single pass, needs much power from GPU. This is a thing, that also needs to be optimized for the MAME versions. I really cant tell, because my RA is from Okt. 2014 and there is no Lotte shader ;) .

I dont believe, that we will have the CRT-Royale shader anytime soon. It is one of the most complex shader available and consists of 12 shaders in one package. There are no source files of it and you cant just take a RA shader and convert it, because its allready in a optimized language, that has not much in common with GLSL, even if the source was once GLSL.

I am happy that Hunter K. (RA Admin) even helped me, to convert the CRT-geom shader, because there is no really good friendship between RA and the MAME devs. CRT-Royale is one exclusive thing to RA and to ask for help in a conversion for it, would wear out one´s welcome ;) .
I dont want that, i want more friendly relationships ;) and Hunter K. is a nice dude. A conversion may sound easy, but it is not. GLSL for MAME has no real documentation and there is no debugging tool for GLSL in general. So most of the time, its hard trial and error.... and frustration :D .

My own priority, is first to have a optimized and complete CRT-geom shader, that is like the current one we have, but with bloom and the interlace fix. Once this is done, i have more plans i dont want to talk about yet. Also there are more upcoming things for HLSL from the hardworking Jezze, who made HLSL so much better since v0161 and that keeps me busy too.

All in all, there where huge improvements in the first half of 2015, regarding shaders and MAME and there are not many people that are aware of this fact. A state that needs to be changed. It is worthless to put so much effort in a thing, that people not even know and you can do a way more things, that you could not do in the past.

This all makes sense and I agree with you. Royale's user settings file alone is very daunting, so I understand what you're saying there.

I look forward to whatever you have in store for the future of UIFX. :)

Thanks again to both of you for entertaining this curiosity of mine. :)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]