MAMEUIFX

A full-of-features version of MAME designed for LCD monitors
It is currently 22/09/2019, 7:18

All times are UTC+02:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: 04/03/2015, 22:12 
Admin
Admin

Well, do not ignore some of them at MW is part of the fun....

For the rest, I think all is proceeding in the right way. I'm not in an hurry and I'll wait for the new JEZZE shaders. Then, I'll start to test some games with your HLSL settings posted above and how they looks on my LCD.

Yes, I noticed too the major general sync of OpenGL, but at the moment the best option seems to use "Sync to monitor refresh" with the fixes ported and implemented here from GroovyMAME and Direct3D (or DirectDraw) video mode.

Though I think is also a matter of personal taste and that's why I'm trying to have the best result with every video mode available. I'm sure some users will prefer HLSL, others GLSL, others regular display with a good overlay effect (e.g. my Real_Scanlines effect).

Peace.

PostPosted: 05/03/2015, 16:50 

mamesick wrote:
For the rest, I think all is proceeding in the right way. I'm not in an hurry and I'll wait for the new JEZZE shaders. Then, I'll start to test some games with your HLSL settings posted above and how they looks on my LCD.

Agree, there is no hurry. It is better to make something right, than halfhearted ;) . It seems that Jezze has even more improved the bloom.fx.
Here are some new pictures, again with high settings of bloom, but thats only to see the improvements better:

Original bloom.fx: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541 ... -scall.png

Fixed bloom.fx: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541 ... -scall.png

and he improved one of the shadowmasks: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541 ... rkness.png

I dont know, how you can treat the three different shadowmasks (maybe there are four), because each mask would need to be a seperate mame.ini ?
Is it possible for a user to choose a shadowmask and MAMEUIFX would pick (or generate) the correct mame.ini for it? i.e. from a dropdown menue or similar?

Same questions for OpenGL and Timothy´s shader. Is it possible for MAMEUIFX, that if a user picks OpenGL, to have a vertical.ini generated by UIFX?
What will happen, if a user switches between the different graphics-modes (direct3d and opengl)?
I am just curious and want to understand some processes behind it :) I am aware that UIFX must store the mame.ini somewhere internally and I usually create mine via the commandline "mameuifx64.exe -cc", just to have it visually somewhere ;) .

mamesick wrote:
Yes, I noticed too the major general sync of OpenGL, but at the moment the best option seems to use "Sync to monitor refresh" with the fixes ported and implemented here from GroovyMAME and Direct3D (or DirectDraw) video mode.

This maybe is true, but OpenGL dont need to alter the audio, hence it "sounds" way better and this with default settings. There s no need to have "special hacks/diffs" to make a fluent gameplay. I would like to have some examples, where your statement is approved... just for testing and my own understanding. Right at the moment, I only see two things that are not as good like the direct3D option.
First thing, would be the missing vector fx (only the awful flicker works). Second, would be the missing sliders of the shader, but beside of this, it looks like the better option for me. Its just IMHO... where I come to your last point:

mamesick wrote:
Though I think is also a matter of personal taste and that's why I'm trying to have the best result with every video mode available. I'm sure some users will prefer HLSL, others GLSL, others regular display with a good overlay effect (e.g. my Real_Scanlines effect).

Absolutely agree... way better to offer different options and the main reason, why I started this thread here ;) . I am very happy and like, how the things start here and I am sure, that there will be even more nice things in the future. It seems I have found the man (with the masterplan) to collaborate and make new things possible... two big thumbs up for you, your work and your interest for this collaboration (you will not regret it).

Cheers and peace, u-man

PostPosted: 05/03/2015, 17:53 
Admin
Admin

Actually, there's no need to generate a MAME.INI manually. Here are the steps from a fresh install:
- Launch the emulator and select "Default Game Options" from the menu or the toolbar.
- Click "OK" without make any change. A MAME.INI will be created in \INI\ folder. Obviously it will contain all MAME core default settings.
At this point you can make all changes you wish, they will be stored in MAME.INI every time you click "Apply" button and will be loaded at game startup and re-loaded in memory every time you re-start the emulator.

VERTICAL.INI:
- Right-click on "Vertical" folder on the left and choose "Properties". Then for example enable "Run in a window". The text colour will change to confirm you're changing an option and creating a different .INI from the default one. Click again "Apply" and "OK" and a VERTICAL.INI will be saved in \INI\ folder and loaded every time you'll launch a vertical game.

Of course this method applies for HORIZONTAL.INI and GAMENAME.INI...

GAMENAME.INI
- Right-click on a game in the list and choose "Properties". Then the behaviour is the same as VERTICAL/HORIZONTAL. Every time you'll play that game it will load its specific settings.

SOURCEDRIVER.INI
- Same as GAMEINI.INI but choose "Properties for xxxxx.c". Now you'll be able to set special settings for all the games in that driver.

For example for all NEOGEO games, you could select a different video mode than other games, simply selecting e.g. METAL SLUG and follow the steps listed above.
Now just imagine the possibilities.

Sorry for HLSL, but even if the settings are stored in default MAME.INI, there's no way to change them from the interface. So you'll have to go into \INI\MAME.INI and change them manually. I believe that also the internal TAB menu doesn't store the settings of the sliders if they change but sincerely I didn't checked yet.

There's nothing more to say. Please only keep in mind that I'm an amateur, not a professional programmer/coder and that I do this in my free-time for personal taste. The fact I share all of this with the community is a simple: "WHY NOT?"

PostPosted: 05/03/2015, 21:14 

mamesick wrote:
Actually, there's no need to generate a MAME.INI manually. Here are the steps from a fresh install:
- Launch the emulator and select "Default Game Options" from the menu or the toolbar.
- Click "OK" without make any change. A MAME.INI will be created in \INI\ folder. Obviously it will contain all MAME core default settings.
At this point you can make all changes you wish, they will be stored in MAME.INI every time you click "Apply" button and will be loaded at game startup and re-loaded in memory every time you re-start the emulator.

Ok, I see... and I guess you have no influence, how this MAME core default settings will look. I just tested it and a new mame.ini will again contain only the official standard HLSL settings. My hope was at least, that it is somehow possible to create a mame.ini with i.e. my posted HLSL parameters here, as a new default mame.ini and that was the thing what i meant by "UIFX must store the mame.ini somewhere internally". Sorry for my bad description, i am trying my best :) .

So for now, a user would need to edit the mame.ini manually, to get Jezze´s shader (or Timothy´s shader) working, am i right? If i am right, i see only two possibilities to avoid a manual user editing of the mame.ini. The first thing that comes to my mind, would be to point to a different ini folder that contains a mame.ini which would contain the right parametes for the shader, i.e. a "shader ini folder". Dont know if this is possible by a user selectable choice via options of UIFX. Second solution, would be changing of the source-code to add additional options, which sounds not easy to do.

mamesick wrote:
VERTICAL.INI:
- Right-click on "Vertical" folder on the left and choose "Properties". Then for example enable "Run in a window". The text colour will change to confirm you're changing an option and creating a different .INI from the default one. Click again "Apply" and "OK" and a VERTICAL.INI will be saved in \INI\ folder and loaded every time you'll launch a vertical game.

Yeah, i know that there are many different .ini´s a user can create, but the problem would be if a user wants to change from opengl to direct3d, then every vertical game would start with a opengl shader ;) .

mamesick wrote:
Sorry for HLSL, but even if the settings are stored in default MAME.INI, there's no way to change them from the interface. So you'll have to go into \INI\MAME.INI and change them manually. I believe that also the internal TAB menu doesn't store the settings of the sliders if they change but sincerely I didn't checked yet.

There's nothing more to say. Please only keep in mind that I'm an amateur, not a professional programmer/coder and that I do this in my free-time for personal taste. The fact I share all of this with the community is a simple: "WHY NOT?"

Like i mentioned in the post earlier, it is not possible to save or load HLSL settings, even playing with the sliders is not saved. The MAME devs, have removed this function since 0150.

I dont want to urge you into something you dont want. Thats why we discuss these stuff here. I know many people including progammers that might help you/us, if there is something that is not easy solved. I do all of this in my free time too, so I understand you and I have the same reasons like you, why I am doing this... why not? :)
One main reason, why I am discussing this with you, is to see what is possible and what needs further help or investigation ;) .

cheers, u-man

PostPosted: 06/03/2015, 10:16 
Admin
Admin

In next 0.160 you will be able to set up a different Video Mode, a different shader for VERTICAL.INI or whatever configuration files you want to create. The code is already here and fully working.

About HLSL, an "ugly" fix could be put in MAME core the values you posted here as default ones, so simply enabling it in the Interface will make them loaded at every game startup. Though I'm not so much sure to do it. We'll see.

PostPosted: 06/03/2015, 12:43 

Hey Dude, thats really good news. My guess is, you will not need more for the shaders, if you can make this :) .

Greets, u-man

PostPosted: 16/03/2015, 14:43 

Hello mamesick,

just wanted to update you, why you dont hear anything from me. Jezze is still optimizing his shader. Here are the latest update on the improved crt shadowmask: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541 ... cale-3.png

Left is the old, right the new one and I would say it is worth the wait :D . I will give you more infos as soon as possible. As you said we have some time, he try to optimize the other two masks, that seems a little more problematic and if it cant be solved, he will let them as they are. Sadly there is still no reply from Soltan42, it seems he left the scene :( . I dont see this as a really bad thing, but it would be better to get his OK. If he dont reply in time, give him at least a credit, as we have the permission for the source of the Open GL shader from Timothy ;) you should be save with that.

Thats it, hope you like the news and keep up the good work... see ya, u-man

PostPosted: 16/03/2015, 17:42 
Admin
Admin

I'm always here. JEZZE can take his time. If not ready for 0.160, they will be included on 0.161.
For the rest, all involved people will be credited as well.

Only one thing, I think I will not put your default values in the core for HLSL. Not because they don't like me, they are nice, but only because I surfed some forums dedicated to "hardcore-gaming" and I saw other HLSL good settings. So in my opinion things should stay as they are, it will be up to final user modify his MAME.INI and make his own HLSL effect. I will include JEZZE work because it's better than official MAME one with the hope it will be taken in consideration by MAMEDevelopers in the future.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2