MAMEUIFX

A full-of-features version of MAME designed for LCD monitors
It is currently 31/10/2020, 18:47

All times are UTC+02:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 3:40 

Hi,

As you know, I'm fixing some issues in MAMEUI and MESSUI to do with history.dat, mameinfo.dat etc.

MAMEUI does not know about messinfo.dat or sysinfo.dat, and cannot display Japanese characters.
MESSUI ignores mameinfo.dat and messinfo.dat (even though datafile.c is identical to MAMEUI).

I had planned to set up a user-selectable dat directory, and users could place up to 5 files in there (history, mameinfo, messinfo, story, sysinfo).

So to fix the Japanese problem I chose to use datafile.c from MAMEUIFX, whereupon I discovered the dat directory had already been implemented. Modifications to some other files were needed, but in the end it ran. Since MAMEUIFX has no support for messinfo and sysinfo, it was easy enough to add these in. MAMEUIFX also supports command.dat. I don't have this file but I'll assume it works.

Then, I removed from the dropdown menu, the history and mameinfo selections and dialog boxes since they are now redundant.

So, it all works, except for one problem: still no Japanese characters. They show as underscores. I decided to set up MAMEUIFX, and it works there. I did notice a different font is being used, perhaps that might be it.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 6:52 
Admin
Admin

Yes, it could be probably the font MAMEUI is using. You should change that shitty "MS Shell Dlg" font which is defined is every dialog in MAMEUI.RC...

Try for example:
at line 836 add the flag DS_SETFONT
at line 840 use FONT 8, "Tahoma"

You can do this (and obviously choose a different font than mine. I use Tahoma that is XP default Font) for all dialogs of the GUI.

PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 9:46 

OK did that, didn't work.

I looked carefully at your code and mine, and noticed ES_OEMCONVERT. This turned out to be an ancient control from the Windows 3.0 days, which specifically kills off non-ANSI characters. Upon removing it, things started working. I did leave the font as Tahoma, although MS Sans Serif would have worked just as well, and has existed as long as Windows has.

So, thanks for your help, and the use of your code. :)

PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 12:55 

Hmm, a small problem has appeared...

If the messinfo has a European character, such as accented e, it shows a little diamond with ? inside. It's correct in the game list, but wrong in the history pane.

For whatever reason, there's plenty of arcade games with Japanese, but none with European chars. MESS stuff is exactly the other way around. So I can't see in MAMEUIFX what happens, since it doesn't do MESS.

Any ideas about that?

EDIT:
Found the problem. I need to convert the 1252 file to UTF-8 by using Notepad. Then it displays fine. However the UTF-8 file for QMC2 doesn't work for MESSUI. I don't know why the difference.

PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 15:41 
Admin
Admin

I'm proud you used my code and that it works for your build.

I can confirm the issue with some special characters that are displayed as question marks in a black diamond. It happens here with MAMEINFO.DAT when for example Developer Oliver Stöneberg is mentioned.

I don't know if there's a real fix, how it's displayed MESSINFO is QMC2? Probably we need a Rich Edit Control, not a simple Edit Control.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff485919(v=vs.85).aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff486019(v=vs.85).aspx

Though the usage of Rich Edit would require a bit of rewriting my code and yours too, including the library DLL loading at startup.

PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 16:22 

I couldn't be bothered, its easier to let MASH and Antopisa know the required format.

I found 'beezer' has Oliver Stoneberg (I don't have the key to make o with 2 dots).
Converting mameinfo.dat to UTF-8 with Notepad fixed it, too.

I think that's all we can do.

PostPosted: 06/09/2015, 19:04 
Admin
Admin

I agree. We shouldn't go crazy to support old-style of WIN98 (maybe earlier) era files. Our new datafile.c code now works perfectly with all official datafiles, so I believe it's up to MASH update his file to the new standards. He also use a bad CR/LF method (have a look at the code in datafile.c where I had to add an hack for carriage return in MAMEINFO).

PostPosted: 07/09/2015, 0:15 

I just jump in, to cheer you all... a solved problem is always a good thing ;) .

Robert wrote:
MAMEUIFX also supports command.dat. I don't have this file but I'll assume it works.
Any ideas?

Sadly the command.dat is not be updated for years: http://home.comcast.net/~plotor/command.html
Still better than nothing :D .

greets u-man

PostPosted: 07/09/2015, 2:32 

I downloaded command.dat from there, and found only the first few lines are displayed. This is due to a really weird (and stupid) format they use. I was about to ask what to do, when I noticed a fixed version comes with mameuifx. It works perfectly.

So afaik we've done all we can. :)

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]